Manufacturer: Ranbaxy, India
Pharmaceutical name: Levofloxacin
Pack: 5 tablets (500mg/tab)
Levaquin is a medicine for treating infections caused by certain bacteria. It may also be used to prevent or slow anthrax after exposure.
Levofloxacin inhibits bacterial type II topoisomerases, topoisomerase IV and DNA gyrase. Levofloxacin, like other fluoroquinolones, inhibits the A subunits of DNA gyrase, two subunits encoded by the gyrA gene. This results in strand breakage on a bacterial chromosome, supercoiling, and resealing; DNA replication and transcription is inhibited.
What is it used for?:
Levofloxacin is used to treat bacterial infections that cause bronchitis, pneumonia, chlamydia, gonorrhea, skin infections, urinary tract infections, and infections of the prostate.
Contraindications and cautions:
• allergy to any ingredient in Levaquin or to any other quinolone antibiotic (eg. ciprofloxacin);
• a certain type of irregular heartbeat (QT prolongation, long QT syndrome) or low blood potassium levels;
• taking cisapride or certain antiarrhythmics (eg. amiodarone, procainamide, quinidine, sotalol).
Less serious side effects: nausea; diarrhea; gas; lightheadedness; dizziness; stomach pain.
• The risk of serious heart problems, including irregular heartbeat, may be increased by antiarrhythmics (eg. amiodarone, procainamide, quinidine, sotalol), arsenic, astemizole, cisapride, dofetilide, droperidol, haloperidol, imidazoles (eg. ketoconazole), macrolides (eg. erythromycin), methadone, paliperidone, phenothiazines (eg. chlorpromazine), pimozide, ranolazine, serotonin receptor antagonists (eg. dolasetron), telithromycin, terfenadine, or ziprasidone;
• The risk of high or low blood sugar may be increased by insulin or oral diabetes medicines (eg. glyburide);
• The risk of tendon problems may be increased by corticosteroids (eg. prednisone);
• Anticoagulants (eg. warfarin) may increase the risk of bleeding;
• Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg. ibuprofen) or theophylline may increase the risk of serious side effects, including seizures;
• Levaquin may increase the risk of side effects of serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) (eg. duloxetine).